Georgia's New Secondary Metal Recycler Law
Pursuant to O.C.G.A. § 10-1-360, secondary metals recyclers who purchase regulated metal property in any quantity
must register with the appropriate sheriff's office(s) beginning July 1, 2012.
- The recycler must submit a completed registration form in person to Sgt. Mike Howell. Sgt. Howell can be reached at
(770) 940-4915 or through email.
- The recycler must also submit a copy of the driver's license or other identification along with the registration documents.
- If the recycler is a qualified alien, secure and verifiable documentation must be attached to the application. A list of verifiable documents is included below.
- Annually collect a non-refundable registration fee of $200, which must be remitted to the county governing authority. Registrations cannot be considered without full payment of $200.
- Each registration is valid for a twelve month period beginning with the effective date of registration established by the sheriff’s office once all registration requirements are met.
How the Appropriate County of Registration is Determined
- Business (Corporation or Partnership) :
The recycler registering as a business must register with the sheriff in county where the place of operation is maintained. If the recycler maintains a place of operation in more than one county, he/she must register the business in each county.
- Individual (Sole Proprietor):
An individual must register in the county where he/she resides.
- Non-resident of Georgia:
A recycler who is not a resident of Georgia must register in the county where he/she primarily engages or intends to operate as a secondary metals recycler.
We Have Moved!
The Douglas County Sheriff's Office has moved. If you need to request a background check, register as a sex offender or talk to one of our deputies in person, our new address is:8470 Earl D. Lee Blvd.
Douglasville, Georgia 30134
December 11, 2012
Criminal Investigations Division
Recently, the Douglas County Sheriff's Office hosted a film crew from A&E's program Beyond Scared Straight. According to A&E's webpage, "The series follows at-risk teens who have been in trouble for everything from fighting, theft, and drugs to promiscuity, gambling and gang-relations. They are forced to spend a day in jail, interact with convicted felons and truly experience what a life behind bars is like." The episode featuring the Douglas County Sheriff's Office is scheduled to air sometime in January. However, we have not received a firm date yet. The following letter is from Arnold Shapiro, the show's Executive Producer:
December 6, 2012
Special Investigations Division
Agents with the Special Investigations Division arrested James Dix and Shannon Gates for multiple counts of sales of prescription narcotics. Both individuals met with agents on several occasions and sold multiple tablets of prescription narcotics. They were taken into custody on a traffic stop by the Patrol Division last night. They were scheduled to appear before the local judge this morning.
Kevin Bohannon was arrested on warrants issued by the Special Investigations Division. Bohannon sold marijuana to agents during the month of September. Warrants were taken out on him after agents lost contact with Bohannon and were not able to arrest him at the time the sales were occurring.
Grady Smith was arrested on December 5, 2012 for manufacturing marijuana. Agents with the Special Investigations Division received a tip about a possible marijuana grow from a residence off of Pope Rd. Agents went to the residence and made contact with Smith. As agents arrived at Smith's residence, He pulled up marijuana plants he had growing inside his house and ran to the back of his residence and threw the plants into a lake bordering his property. Agents observed him doing this and he was taken into custody. Agents were able to retrieve the plants from the lake, by use of a boat that was on the property. Mr. Smith is scheduled to appear before the local magistrate on Friday, December 7, 2012
return to topNews Archives - click here to read news from prior months